Temporary work permit

The temporary foreign worker program is designed to help Canadian employers to recruit workers from overseas if the Canadian employers are unable to find a suitable candidate in Canadian labour market. Every year nearly hundred thousand of foreign workers enter Canada to work in a wide range of occupations across the country.
There are two kinds of foreign workers in Canada – those who need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), and those who are LMIA-exempt.
The LMIA exempt are named International Mobility Program. This program allows employers to hire or bring in foreign workers without the need of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). LMIA-exempt program include: international students who have graduated from a Canadian school;
persons authorized to work in Canada temporarily due to free trade agreements, such as NAFTA, International Experience Canada participants, some permanent resident (PR) applicants settling in Canada while their PR application is finalized, and spouses of highly-skilled foreign workers.

For these who require LMIA, the application process for Temporary Work permit takes several steps.
In order to qualify for Temporary work permit in Canada, you must first have an offer of employment from Canadian employer.
The employer has to apply and obtain the positive Labour Market Impact Assessment, and prove that there are no available permanent residents or Canadian Citizens for this specific job position.
After LMIA is positively approved the foreign worker may apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for temporary work permit to be allow to work in Canada.

A temporary work permit is written authorization to work in Canada .It is usually valid for a specific job and a specific length of time, specific employer and location.

In addition, some foreign workers require a temporary resident visa to enter Canada. However, if you need a temporary resident visa, you do not need to make a separate application – it will be issued at the same time as temporary Work Permit.

To qualify, you must:

  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires,
  • show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home,
  • obey the law and have no record of criminal activity , you may provide police clearance
  • not be a danger to Canada’s security,
  • be in good health and have a medical exam, if applicable
  • not plan to work for an employer on the list of ineligible employers,
  • give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.

Temporary foreigner workers or foreigner students with skilled Canadian work experience, may qualify for permanent residence under Canadian Experience Class