Post graduation work permit

This program is designed to allow students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program. The study program must be a minimum of eight months in length and for maximum of three years. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class.

The requirements of this program are as follows:

  • must have graduated from full time approved post secondary educational institution in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.
  • must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.
  • must have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • must have a valid study permit at the time of work permit application.

If you have graduated from a vocational or professional training program at a public or private secondary institution in Quebec different requirements apply.

You are not eligible under this program if you:
  • study in a program that is less than eight months long
  • participate in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD)
  • participate in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by DFATD
  • receive funding from the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
  • participate in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • participate in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program
  • participate in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • participate in a distance learning program either from abroad or from within Canada or
  • have previously been issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study.