Study Permit

As of June 1, 2014 to be eligible to apply for a study permit you will need to be enroll in the designated learning institution. Designated learning institution is a school in Canada that a student must be accepted at before they can qualify for a study permit. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are automatically designated.

Additionally you must also meet the following eligibility criteria for a study permit:

  • prove that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses for your self and your accompanying family members and enough money for your and your family members return transportation.
  • prove that you have no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. Police certificate may be required.
  • you must be in good health and willing to undergo a medical examination, if required.
  • you must convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

To apply for a study permit you will need the following documents, such as proof of acceptance from designated learning institution, proof of identity, proof of financial support and a letter of explanation.

You do not need to apply for study permit if you want to take short-term courses or programs of study of six months or less. You may enroll in short-term courses at any learning institution.

Additionally citizens of non-visa exempt countries must have a valid visitor visa.