Spousal work permit

Work permit for spouses or common –law partners of foreign students.

Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for work permit if:

  • you have a valid study permit
  • you are full time student
  • you are enrolled in designated learning institution

Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada.